TALLAHASSEE /Florida Newswire/ — Governor Charlie Crist lauded the success of the Governor’s Holiday Book Drive, an effort to collect book donations for local foster children, families and foster agency workers. The book drive collected more than 550 books for foster children across Florida.
“The annual book drive is a wonderful opportunity to give the gift of reading to Florida’s children longing for the love and support of a forever family,” Governor Crist said. “I pray that the New Year brings them joy and happiness, and the gift of a permanent, loving home.”
In addition, Scholastic Books and Principle Woods Publishing generously donated 1,600 books through Volunteer Florida Foundation. Florida Department of Education/Just Read! also kindly donated 100 books. SKB Consulting Group helped facilitate the donation of the books. Children in 10 different foster-care agencies around the state will receive collected books as gifts:
· Camp E-Nini-Hassee, Floral City
· Eckerd Community Alternatives of Pinellas and Pasco County
· Eckerd Leadership Program, Fort Pierce
· Camp E-Ma-Chamee, Milton
· Partnership for Strong Families, Gainesville
· United for Families, Port St. Lucie
· Place of Hope, Palm Beach Gardens
· Children’s Home Society, Mid-Florida Division, Gainesville
· Heartland for Children, Bartow
· Children’s Network of Southwest Florida, Fort Myers
Scholastic Books is a global children’s publishing, education and media company committed to promoting literacy. Principle Woods Publishing is the home to Principle Woods, an integrated literary curriculum for elementary school children that focuses on teaching conflict-resolution, self-discipline and critical thinking skills.
In 2008, Governor Crist launched a statewide Explore Adoption initiative aimed at promoting the benefits of public adoption and urging families to consider creating or expanding their families by adopting a child who is older, disabled or part of a sibling group.